Sour volatile component loss under associated gas sample storage
Arystanbekova S.A., Lapina M.S., Volynskiy A.B. (OOO Gazprom VNIIGAZ, RF, Moskovskaya obl.)
The paper examines sampler material effects on loss of sour volatile components in low-pressure associated gas. When stainless steel and titanium alloy samplers are used, such components are likely to be completely lost under sample transportation. It was found that under standard nitrogenrich gas mixtures storage in Tedlar bags, the loss of some volatile components could reach 10–15% by the 10th storage day. However, the averages for such sour components over 10 days appear to remain under 6%. The authors believe that the main difference between these data and ASTM D 5504–08 guidelines – in particular, to avoid keeping Tedlar bags longer than 24 hours – is likely attributable to progressive improvements with bag materials.
1. Neftegazopromyslovaya geologiya: Terminologicheskiy spravochnik [Oil and gas geology: Terminological reference book]. Ed. Ivanova M.M. Moscow, TVANT Publ., 1994. 280 p.
2. GOST 22387.2–2014. Gazy goryuchiye prirodnye. Metody opredeleniya serovodoroda i merkaptanovoy sery [State Standard 22387.2–2014. Flammable natural gases. Methods for determination of hydrogen sulfide and mercaptan sulfur]. Moscow, Izdatel’stvo standartov Publ., 2015. 44 p. 3. ISO 19739:2004. Natural gas – Determination of sulfur compounds using gas chromatography. – International Organization for Standardization, 2005. 63 p.
4. GOST R 53367–2009. Gaz goryuchiyi prirodnyi. Opredeleniye serosoderzhashchikh komponentov khromatograficheskim metodom [State Standard R 53367–2009. Flammable natural gas. Determination of sulfur components by a chromatographic technique]. Moscow, Standartinform Publ., 2010. 28 p.
5. GOST 31370–2008 (ISO 10715:1997). Gaz prirodnyi. Rukovodstvo po otboru prob [State Standard 31370–2008 (ISO 10715: 1997). Natural gas. The manual for sampling]. Moscow, Standartinform Publ., 2009. 46 p.
6. ASTM D 5504–08. Standard test method for determination of sulfur compounds in natural gas and gaseous fuels by gas chromatography and chemiluminescence. ASTM International, 2008. 10 p.
Back to the section