Early offshore development risk analysis: ROV method uses International Accounting Standards
Talipova A.S., Pel’meneva A.A. (Gubkin State Oil and Gas University, RF, Moscow)
Offshore upstream development is known to be essentially cost-intensive, it involves higher risks and uncertainty. Moreover, the existing global oil price environment has largely limited company mobility (between 31 December 2015 and 16 January 2016 Brent price fell 22.5 %. from $37.60/bbl to $29.11/ bbl) for new project investment with many current projects appearing suspended. At the same time, most producers are now public companies, they assume IAS reporting and stringent rules for reserves calculations by category. Combined, this affects investment decisions concerning higher risk targets, calls for more detailed analysis and employment all feasible risk assessment tools. This paper addresses a real options valuation (ROV) method viewed as a project management and risk assessment instrument, while conventional models appear disappointing as they mostly fail to assess future benefits in full. Two fields in the Barents and the Kara Seas were chosen as actual examples of potential offshore exploration challenges.
1. Rouz Piter R. Analiz riskov i upravleniye neftegazopoiskovymi proektami [Risk analysis and management of oil and gas prospecting projects]. Moscow-Izhevsk, Izhevsk Institute of Computer Science Publ., 2011. 304 p.
2. Society of Petroleum Engineers. Oil and Gas Reserves Committee «Comparison of Selected Reserves and Resource Classifications and Associated Definitions». Available at: http://rca.spe.org/
3. Mezhdunarodnyi standart finansovoy otchetnosti (IFRS) 6 «Razvedka i otsenka zapasov poleznykh iskopaemykh» [International Financial Reporting Standard (IFRS) 6 «Exploration and Evaluation of Mineral Resources»]. Available at: http://www.msfofm
4. Rukovodstvo k svodu znaniy po upravleniyu proektami [A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge]. Pennsylvania, USA, PMIInc. Publ., 2008. 496 p.
5. Ziyatdinov A.Sh. Metod real’nykh optsionov dlya otsenki stoimosti investitsionnykh proektov [The real options method for cost estimation of investment projects]. Ekonomika i upravleniye, 2010, no. 3, p. 5.
6. Arkticheskiy shel’f: naskol’ko optimal’na sistema regulirovaniya v Rossii? [The Arctic shelf: To what extent is optimal the regulating system in Russia?]. Available at: http://www.skolkovo.ru/public/en/
7. Popova A.A. Otsenivaniye stoimosti standartnykh optsionov s pomoshch’yu metoda Monte-Karlo [Estimating the value of the standard stock options using the Monte-Carlo method]. Aktual’nye innovatsionnye issledovaniya: nauka i praktika, 2010, no. 2, p. 4.
8. Klimov A. Novatsii bukhgalterskoy otchetnosti dlya dobyvayushchikh kompaniy [Innovations of accounting reports for producing companies]. Ekonomika i zhizn’, 2012, no. 13.
Back to the section