Exploration and production in Russia’s Arctic offshore: Key technology development areas
Sochneva I.O. (International Institute of Energy Policy and Diplomacy MGIMO, Foreign Ministry of Russia, RF, Moscow)
This paper aims to identify the key priority upstream technologies which would presumably become central for Arctic oil and gas development in Russia. It was found that any E&P success appears mainly driven by the stat-of-the-art in the technology area, such as offshore installation ice protection ice conditions management. Difficulties with environmental and upstream facility management appear to impose serious constraints here. At the same time, existing technologies regarding oil and gas pipelining, logistics, and subsea production facility arrangements are reported to strongly move ahead and are believed to sustain the continued offshore development. Numerous field-tested subsea technologies are presently available for most Arctic fields and appear to have no alternatives for the short term.
1. Sochneva I.O., Sochnev O.Ya., Khistyayev A.A., et al. Razvedka i dobycha uglevodorodov v arkticheskikh moryakh Rossii. Napravleniya razvitiya tekhnologiy v obespecheniye ekologicheskoy i promyshlennoy bezopasnosti [Exploration and production of hydrocarbons in the Russian Arctic seas. Areas of technology development into the provision of environmental and industrial safety]. Moscow, Gasoil Press Publ., 2013. p
2. Sochneva I.O. Sovremennye tekhnologii osvoyeniya morskikh neftegazovykh mestorozhdeniy [Modern technologies of the development of offshore oil and gas fields]. Moscow, Gasoil Press Publ., 2015. 336 p.
3. Sochnev O.Ya., Zhukovskaya E.A. Tekhnicheskaya dostupnost’ rossiyskogo shel’fa dlya osvoyeniya v sovremennykh usloviyakh [Technical accessibility of the Russian shelf development in the present conditions]. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika, 2013, no. 2, pp. 48–61.
4. Sochnev O.Ya., Sochneva I.O., Khistyayev A.A. Perspektivy dobychi nefti na shel’fe Rossii [The prospects of oil production on the shelf of Russia]. Moscow, Buki Vedi Publ., 2013. 600 p.
5. Sochneva I.O., Sochnev O.Ya. Mobil’naya morskaya burovaya ustanovka v arkticheskom ispolnenii (vybor kontseptsii) [Mobile offshore drilling rig in the arctic version (choice concept)]. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika, 2015, no. 1, pp. 31–37.
Back to the section