Stress-corrosion cracking growth profile in compressor outlet lines
Afanas’yev A.V. (FGAO VPO Samara State Aerospace University, RF, Samara), Shabanov K.Yu., Vas’kov M.I. (OOO Gazprom Transgaz Samara, RF, Samara)
This paper considers various implications of operating drivers for stress-corrosion cracking development with reference to crack location history across different segments of a major gas pipeline system. It provides analysis summary for compressor stations and highlights research into outlet pipe samples affected by SCC as well as spectral measurements and main metal corrosion product by-element mapping in affected zones. These comprehensive studies helped us propose a presumably viable flaw mechanism specifically addressing SCC aspects. Microscopic analysis of external pipe surface was used for assessment of multiple cracks. It was found that a relationship exists between crack opening width and its length, averaging 1:10.
1. Veliyulin I.I., Lubenskii S.A., Veliyulin E.I., Reshetnikov A.D. Analiz prichin razrusheniya gazoprovodnykh trub bol’shogo diametra v razlichnykh regionakh Rossii [An analysis of the causes of the destruction of gas pipes of large diameter in different regions of Russia]. Moscow, MAKS Press Publ., 2012. 232 p.
2. Bogdanov, R.I., Ryakhovskikh I.V. Sb. tr. uchastnikov konferentsii molodykh spetsialistov i novatorov proizvodstva OOO «Gazprom transgaz Yugorsk» (Yugorsk, 8–12 dekabrya 2014 g.) [Collected papers of the Conference of young specialists and innovators of OOO Gazprom Transgaz Yugorsk (Yugorsk, 8–12 December, 2014)]. Yugorsk, Gazprom Transgaz Yugorsk Publ., 2014, p. 53.
3. Bogdanov R.I., Marshakov A.I., Ignatenko V.E. Vliyaniye sostava rastvora na skorost’ rosta treshchiny v trubnoy stali Kh70 pri staticheskoy i tsiklicheskoy nagruzke [Influence of the composition of the solution on the crack growth rate in the pipe steel X70 under static and cyclic loading]. Korroziya, materialy i zashchita, 2011, no.11, pp. 30–37.
4. Garis N.A., Askarov G.R. Novyi podkhod k resheniyu problemy streskorrozii na truboprovodakh bol’shikh diametrov [A new approach to solving the problem of stress corrosion of large diameter pipelines]. Neftegazovoye delo, 2004, no. 2, pp. 137–142.
5. Chen W., Kania R., Worthingham R., Van Boven G. Transgranular crack growth in the pipeline steels exposed to near-neutral pH soil aqueous solutions: the role of hydrogen. Acta Materialia, 2009, vol. 57, no. 20, pp. 6200–6214.
6. Terent’yev V.F. Ustalostnaya prochnost’ metallov i splavov [The fatigue strength of metals and alloys]. Moscow, Intermet Inzhiniring Publ., 2002. 288 p.
7. Subbotin V.A., Shcherbo I.V., Kholodkov S.A., Giorbelidze M.G. Otsenka staticheskoy prochnosti uchastkov lineynoy chasti magistral’nykh gazoprovodov s koloniyey korrozionnykh treshchin [Evaluation of the static strength of sections of linear parts of the trunk gas pipelines with a colony of corrosion cracks]. Vestnik Samarskogo GAU, 2014, no. 5 (47), pt. 4, pp. 151–157.
Back to the section